The Vendri follow a similar system to the Elbi, it seems. At birth, the family gives the child a name based on the words of their local wiseman figure (Ellwengr). This name is used as a shield to dissuade daemons and monsters from stealing the child, so is often something very grand and threatening. But this is not the child's true name, as it is considered bad luck to name a child before the age of 6 (as the rate of children dying in the Oblast is incredibly high). Once the child reaches 6, however, the community as a whole gifts them a name based on a prominent trait.

After this naming, the Ellwengr (the same one that named him, or his immediate apprentice) writes his old name in the snows of the Oblast. He then goes to check the name on the following day - if it is still there, the daemons of the land remember the challenge and will attempt to harm the child in his adulthood. If the name is gone, the daemons have forgotten the child and he will be safe.

E.g. A child is born and the Ellwengr sees in him the magical ability to shapeshift, so he gives the child the title Vengr (wolf man) to dissuade monsters from attacking the child. The child grows up and is a very fast runner, but not particularly manly, so his tribe names him Nidr (swift person).
-----Original Message-----
From: Jörg Rhiemeier
Sent:  20/11/2012, 7:16  am
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: peoples's name

Hallo conlangers!

On Monday 19 November 2012 18:52:22 Mathieu Roy wrote:

> For people who have developed a conlang with its own culture, I was curious
> to know how were the people named (or how would you do it?): two parents
> choosing a name that sounds good for the kid when s/he is born or something
> else?

Among the Elbi, the parents give a name to the child at birth,
usually one that expresses the parents' hopes for their child;
but when the child reaches the age of 12, he chooses a name of
his own, often a childhood nickname or a name which the young
Alba feels that it expresses his nature, and from then on, the
given name is used only among family and friends, while the
"public" name is the chosen name.  It is a common belief that
the given name is the "true" name of the bearer, and can be used
in exerting magical influence for good or ill on him.

A patronymic or metronymic (derived from the relevant parent's
chosen name) may be added for clarity, usually when the chosen
name is not unique within the local community, and an Alba who
has moved to another community often adds the ablative of his
home community to his name.

--
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf