Sorry, I meant to write "I saw a bus run over your dog."
Charlie

-----Original Message-----
From: Constructed Languages List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Charles W Brickner
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 8:31 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: conlang testing desiderata

-----Original Message-----
From: Constructed Languages List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Herman Miller

It seems like it's still a specific bus that ran him over, although there's something that seems questionable about "a bus ran him over".
Could be that the bus is inanimate? I don't think you'd say "a nice man ran him over". Or "the bus ran him over", either. I think "run over" is just an idiomatic expression that's always used in the passive voice with "by", so it's not the best example here.

This thread is beginning to make me think that my English is weird.  I disagree with the previous.  I've used/seen it on numerous occasions.
"How was your father killed?"  "A drunken kid ran him over."  "...ran over him."

"I saw the bus run over your dog."

Charlie