Hi TEI-L,

Last month we started working on a web-based XML editor with just these use
cases in mind as part of the ANGLES project, a Digital Humanities Start-Up
grant funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities. It is still
early days yet but we've made what we feel is a pretty good start. ANGLES
extends the ACE editor you mention and connects it, for the moment, to a
SAX-style parser to do basic validation.

The project site for ANGLES is here: http://umd-mith.github.com/angles/ and
since there's not much there yet, the code is on Github:
https://github.com/umd-mith/angles

As I said, development has just started. We'll be continuing to work on
this project through at least Fall 2013 and would love to talk to you (and
any other interested parties) about this project.

Best,

Trevor