[Heh-heh. I've been expecting this question ... :-]

I think the answer is yes, you *can* encode a pointer to an audio
file using <graphic>. There are three problems, though.

1) The tactical semantics are incorrect. Even though to a casual
   reader it is clear that
      <graphic url="../sound/I_Have_a_Dream.ogg"
               mimeType="audio/ogg" />
   refers to an audio file, the Guidelines clearly state that
   <graphic> is for "an inline graphic, illustration, or figure".

2) The attributes are incorrect. <graphic> has, e.g., height= and
   width=, but does not have dur=.

3) The strategic semantics are probably incorrect. I'm not sure of
   your situation, but remember that the TEI is primarily about
   encoding extant texts. (Which is not to say we don't use it for
   born-digital stuff, we do.) So the <graphic> element is primarily
   intended to represent a graphic that exists in an existing
   physical document. (E.g.,
   http://www.sffaudio.com/images08/flatland500.jpg.) So if what
   you're doing is adding a pointer to something else, e.g., to an
   audio instantiation of the current document, or a commentary on
   it, then encoding with <figure> and <graphic> may not be the right
   thing to do anyway.

In any case, I'd recommend either:

A) Using <ptr>:
      <ptr type="facsimile"
           subtype="audio"
           target="../sound/I_Have_a_Dream.ogg"
           mimeType="audio/ogg" />

B) Customizing TEI as to create a new <my:audio> element that is much
   like <graphic>, but has correct semantics and attrs.

Other possibilities (which I'm not as fond of) are to abuse the
<graphic> element or the facs= attribute.