Here are a couple examples of using base64 to encode audio:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2270151/is-it-possible-to-use-data-uris-in-video-and-audio-tags

On 12/17/2012 10:12 AM, John P. McCaskey wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite"> I'd have thought <binaryObject> was the obvious answer.

-- JPM

On 12/17/2012 9:01 AM, Syd Bauman wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
[Heh-heh. I've been expecting this question ... :-]

I think the answer is yes, you *can* encode a pointer to an audio
file using <graphic>. There are three problems, though.

1) The tactical semantics are incorrect. Even though to a casual
   reader it is clear that
      <graphic url="../sound/I_Have_a_Dream.ogg"
               mimeType="audio/ogg" />
   refers to an audio file, the Guidelines clearly state that
   <graphic> is for "an inline graphic, illustration, or figure".

2) The attributes are incorrect. <graphic> has, e.g., height= and
   width=, but does not have dur=.

3) The strategic semantics are probably incorrect. I'm not sure of
   your situation, but remember that the TEI is primarily about
   encoding extant texts. (Which is not to say we don't use it for
   born-digital stuff, we do.) So the <graphic> element is primarily
   intended to represent a graphic that exists in an existing
   physical document. (E.g.,
   http://www.sffaudio.com/images08/flatland500.jpg.) So if what
   you're doing is adding a pointer to something else, e.g., to an
   audio instantiation of the current document, or a commentary on
   it, then encoding with <figure> and <graphic> may not be the right
   thing to do anyway.

In any case, I'd recommend either:

A) Using <ptr>:
      <ptr type="facsimile"
           subtype="audio"
           target="../sound/I_Have_a_Dream.ogg"
           mimeType="audio/ogg" />

B) Customizing TEI as to create a new <my:audio> element that is much
   like <graphic>, but has correct semantics and attrs.

Other possibilities (which I'm not as fond of) are to abuse the
<graphic> element or the facs= attribute.

Hi all Excuse me if my questions seems answered somewhere, but I
couldn't find them (after reading the relevant parts of guidelines
and searching the list for similar questions). As I understand from
the guidelines, one can include a picture or video using the
<graphic> element. Is it impossible to include an audio file in an
article or e-book? How one can include an audio file in a text.
Also, some texts of great importance may be a subject of teaching
for some famous scholars which may be treated as a teaching of
parts of the main text or some vocal comments or description or so
about parts of text. How one can encode such features using the
TEI? Thank you so much