It's possible, in this discussion, that people may think the
behaviour of these TEI XSL stylesheets is authorised in some
way by the TEI Consortium.

Yes and no.

Yes, in that this XSL family is used to make the published Guidelines,
and underlies the current generation of ODD-processing. The output
of the Guidelines on the web, for example, is very much under the
aegis of the TEI Council which can and does mandate fixes.

No, in that the handling of e.g. <p>s and <q>s (which we must mind, of course!)
is designed to plausibly render the Guidelines, texts I have to process, etc,
but is _not_ intended  to exhibit normative behaviour.

Annoyingly vague, I know, but we're long way off
an exemplar of a TEI processing model I think.

--
Sebastian Rahtz
Director (Research Support) of Academic IT Services