Dear List,

I totally back Hayim's concerns. Oxygen for instance is at loggerheads with mixed ltr and rtl content in a single line, as is necessarily the case when you mark up rtl sources with ltr XML tags. I recently tried to encode an Ottoman source ("old" Turkish written in Persian and Arabic characters) and had to move to a simple text editor.

Best,

Till

Am 21.12.2012 um 12:44 schrieb Hayim Lapin:

Trevor (and TEI-L):

Any chance ANGLES will have decent RTL support. Those of us working in Hebrew, Arabic, etc., could surely use a decent editor with serious RTL support.

HL

From: TEI (Text Encoding Initiative) public discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Trevor Muņoz
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2012 8:37 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: web-based XML editors

Hi TEI-L,

Last month we started working on a web-based XML editor with just these use cases in mind as part of the ANGLES project, a Digital Humanities Start-Up grant funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities. It is still early days yet but we've made what we feel is a pretty good start. ANGLES extends the ACE editor you mention and connects it, for the moment, to a SAX-style parser to do basic validation.

The project site for ANGLES is here: http://umd-mith.github.com/angles/ and since there's not much there yet, the code is on Github: https://github.com/umd-mith/angles

As I said, development has just started. We'll be continuing to work on this project through at least Fall 2013 and would love to talk to you (and any other interested parties) about this project.

Best,

Trevor