Byzantium has  been written over the last few months as a short project by Nick
Burlingame, a student intern at Oxford from the University of Georgia. His
task was to see if he could implement what http://www.tei-c.org/Roma/ does,
all in your browser, and capable of working offline.

Nick's done a splendid job with JQuery putting together
many of the features of the existing Roma, and a few nice features
which Roma didn't have.  You can see Byzantium in action on an
experimental server
   http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/Byzantium/
and follow the code at https://github.com/sebastianrahtz/Byzantium;
if you download the code you can run it locally immediately by
opening index.html in your browser.

Some good things:
  * Byzantium gets its knowledge about the TEI from a copy of P5 which it
   grabs once from the web  as a JSON file and then caches in your browser
   storage
  * the TEI "database" it uses is replaceable. so you may be able
  to load eg Epidoc as your  base set to customize from, or something
  which is not TEI at all
  * you can save the state of your work to local browser storage
  * you get some graphical feedback about how you are doing

Some things you can't do yet:
  * load in existing complex ODD documents (it'll try, but no promises)
  * add new elements
  * add descriptions for items in value lists
  * change content models
  * change descriptions
  * change class membership
  * change the interface language

Some less good things:
 * the P5 database is loaded from the development server for P5 at Oxford, as the JSON in the current release is not the format needed
 * local storage is per browser, and you cannot get at it from your normal apps
 * getting any output depends on a web service call to OxGarage
 * I don't think local storage works in older versions of IE (to be honest,  it's basically  not tested under IE at all)

Support, development and next stages:
  * The TEI Council will debate shortly whether and/or how it wants to develop this further
  * There is no support for this. None. No support. Please do NOT send me requests for change, bug reports, or ideas and expect me to do anything!
  * However, if you want to contribute fixes or additions to the code, that would be Great!!!!!! Github is a frtendly, efficient, environment, and the
	Byzantium code is pretty small and easy to read
  * the code is owned by the TEI, licensed under BSD or CC Attribution-ShareAlike

--
Sebastian Rahtz
Director (Research Support) of Academic IT Services