On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Adam Walker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> In redesigning Gravgaln, I have been considering using a prefix (-1)
> to show tense and mood and a second (-2) to show person and aspect.
> This is an alien language, but still I'd like to know if there is
> ANADEW for this divison of labor.  Also if there is some Very Good
> Reason(tm) not to do things this way, I'd like fair warning on that
> too.

In human languages, if you do have distinct, non-blended marking
for tense and aspect, you normally expect the aspect marker to be
closest to the verb, then tense, (then mood), then person marking.

If one squints a bit, one could say that Navajo is developing a system
a bit like yours.  Centuries of exposure to IE languages seems to be
inspiring the invention of past tense marking.  But this is happening
at the other end of the verb, with the prefix pile-up handling person
marking and aspect (though the aspect is a result of both prefixes and
stem choice).

--
wm