-----Original Message-----
From: Constructed Languages List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of David McCann

On Wed, 5 Dec 2012 08:33:25 -0500
Charles W Brickner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> An additional factor to be considered is the culture.  The Incas had a
> sophisticated culture with a king but no wheel.

Geography comes into it. The wheel was first developed on the steppes, where
the terrain was suitable. Once you move to a different area, you either drop
the wheel or you have to build roads. I can't remember about the Inca, but
the Mexicans knew the wheel. Having no draught animals (anyone for the
chihuahua cart?) they only used in to children's toys.

As I remember it, terrain was indeed a factor.  The Incas had wheels for
toys and for spinning, but never applied them to transportation.  Everything
was transported on the backs of llamas.  Even with their road system there
would have been a lot of up-and-down traveling.
Charlie