On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 11:52 PM, Matthew Merlo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>I would be willing to provide help, what did you have in mind though? Also, I agree with the suggestions to shorten the >timespan, or at least the timespan after humans are created.
>>
>>> So... would anyone be willing to help me with this project?
>
> My main problem is that I'm not knowledgeable enough about language specifics to form a coherent language that works, and I also don't really care about learning enough to get to the point where I can construct a language well. I know enough to make suggestions, but the actual constructing is beyond me.
>
> So basically what I need is to be able to do is pretty much describe a culture and what influences they might have or possible peculiarities and then let who ever wants to help to go to work on it... This sounds like I'm going "I want you to make me something so i can claim credit" which i guess is somewhat the case if that's how you want to look at it, but i am not for that. I know I can't do this. I want this for my world. So want I'm really asking is that you create this to fit into my world that I can use, but you can take all (or most given that I have done some work ^.^) credit.
>
> As far as influence in the world itself. There are lots of ill defined things still in my world and I'd love input into them and language defines culture as much as culture defines language so I look at it more as a road where we're both constructing paths... it's free range for the most part, but there houses and roads that i know the location of that you might not that might have me go "you can't do that" but other than that, I'm open to anything that works within that and I'm more than willing to say "yup I didn't come up with that, that other guy did"
>
> As to what needs to be done...
> 8 base languages...
> Dragon, Demon, Alvor, Anunnaki, Fomorian, Fairy, Dwarven, Proto-Human.
> I think the most important of these 8 are...
> Dragon, Fomorian, and Proto-Human
> because I need...
> Human + Fomorian language and 2 of it's descendants
> One of it's descendants that i need is somewhat influenced by the Dragon Language, but the Dragon language being base to several other languages makes it important.
>
> I do have a bit of the dragon language figured out, but it's a mess and I'm someone else could do a much better job than i with my ideas that are put into it so far.

Eight proto-languages, a creole, and two descendants of the creole is
an *insane* amount of work. Consider that many conlangers work on a
single language for years.

To be brutally honest, this sounds like the same proposal that artists
get all of the time from people who want them to draw a comic for them
or do character designs for a video game, offering only "full credit"
or "exposure", or at most compensation after it supposedly inevitably
becomes a "huge hit". I suppose with the higher visibility of conlangs
in popular entertainment in recent years, it was inevitable that this
sort of request for free labor would spread to language construction.

You really ought to take a step back and think about how much of any
of these languages will actually appear, as text, in your book. If
it's a few names of people or places here and there, you probably
don't even need to create a full language and can just fake it. And if
there is significant dialogue in it, you need to think about how
willing your readers will be to wade through a lot dialogue that they
can't read. And if there is a significant amount of text in eleven
languages, you have a book where the reader would have to learn eleven
languages just to know what anybody is saying. I can tell you right
now that the audience for something like that can be counted on one
hand with no fingers.