-----Original Message-----
From: Constructed Languages List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Puey McCleary

Sarah Higley has made an amazing film dramatizing the Anglo-Saxon poem “Wulf and Eadwacer.”  It can be seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbwbuDc-oT8&list=UUd_irf-08NAMyz8m37QXVSA&index=4&feature=plcp
I think this would make an excellent translation challenge for this list.  Since I do not know Old English, and there seem to be more than one possible interpretation of the poem, I’m going to look here for now:

What a fantastic exercise!!  I read online a number of articles on the poem to get a feel for how others were interpreting it.  It took me all day today to do this.  It was like being back in English class in college.  I have a B.A. in English.
My interpretation is that the narrator is a woman.  Wulf (an epithet) is her husband and an outlaw on the run from Eadwacer (an epithet), a lord and her captor, who is hunting him down so that he can execute him for his crime.  The child (a teenager, not an infant) is the child of Wulf and the narrator and he has taken the child with him in his flight.  She and Wulf belong to two different peoples.  She lives with his people.  He flees to her people taking the son (the gift).
BTW, I translated it before I viewed the video.

Thank you very much.
Charlie

Lēodum is mīnum swylce him mon lāc gife;
It is to my people as if someone gave them a gift.

m-ùs leuð-úm o làči sèm-us n-un o dóó-om e=dóó-o (1) és-a:
1-STA.PL people-STA.s to as.if someone-NOM.SG 3-STA.PL to gift-MOT.SG PST=give-SBJV be-IND

willað hý hine āþecgan gif hē on þrēat cymeð.
They want to kill him, if he comes violently.

nù-es—òln-us (2) da (3) kììq=vi ǧém-o—òln-um u=qóós-a: (4)
3-NOM.PL 4-NOM.SG if violent=ADV come-SBJV 4-MOT.SG FUT=devour-IND

Ungelīc is ūs.
It is different for us.

góȝ-as ṁ-ùm o vúl-a: (5)
difference-NOM.SG 1-STA.PL to there.be-IND

Wulf is on īege, ic on ōþerre.
Wulf is on one island I on another.

ṁélǩ-us buuǩ-ós èva. m-us anter-ós èva vú-a:
wolf-NOM.SG island-STA.SG on 1-NOM.SG other.of.two-STA.SG on be-IND

Fæst is þæt ēglond, fenne biworpen.
That island, surrounded by fens, is secure.

laam-óm ṁèèla t̬áák-aþ-’ o=búúǩ-os nés-os és-a:
fen-STA.PL by surround-PTCP-EL (6) that=island-NOM.SG secure-NOM.SG be-IND

Sindon wælrēowe weras þaer on īge;
There on the island are bloodthirsty men.

ǩol-émru ṁir-úes buuǩ-ós èna és-a:
slaughter-cruel man-NOM.PL island-STA.SG on be-IND

<refrain omitted>

Wulfes ic mīnes wīdlāstum wēnum dogode,
I followed the far journeys of my Wulf in (my) hopes

m-us m-ùs ilk-ám ṁèèla ṁelǩ-ús fíro sént-on e=sáág-a:
1-NOM.SG 1-STA.SG hope-STA.PL by wolf-STA.SG far journey-MOT.PL PST=track-IND

þonne hit wæs rēnig weder ond ic rēotugu sæt,
Whenever it was rainy weather, and I sat lamenting,

ǩènum suuṁéðṙ-os e=ésa. m-us ṁááb-ant-us e=séd-a.
whenever rain.weather-NOM.SG PST=be-IND 1-NOM.SG lament-PTCP-NOM.SG PST=sit-IND

þonne mec se beaducāfa bōgum bilegde,
Then the warrior bold in battle encompassed me with his arms.

pèru caþ-nántu kóŗ-us n-ùs keen-óm ṁèèla m-um e=gém-a:
then battle-bold warrior-NOM.SG 3-STA.SG foreleg-STA.PL with 1-MOT.SG PST=lay.hold.of-IND

wæs mē wyn tō þon, wæs mē hwæþre ēac lāð.
That was joy to me, to a point, but that was pain also

báȝ-as m-ùs o ðee-ós pòrsa e=és-a. déb-os àti ètu m-ùs o e=és-a:
joy-NOM.SG 1-STA.SG to point-STA.SG up.to PST=be-IND, pain-NOM.SG but also 1-STA.SG to PST=be-IND

Wulf, mīn Wulf! wēna mē þīne
Wolf, my Wolf, my hoping for you

ṁelǩ-ú m-ùs ṁelǩ-ú. m-ùs ílk-as
wolf-VOC.SG 1-STA.SG wolf-VOC.SG 1-STA.SG hope-NOM.SG

sēoce gedydon, þīne seldcymas,
made me sick, your seldom comings

m-ùs álk-am e=f̧úúd-a:  t-ùs-ə n=mééa ǧem-áes
1-STA.SG sickness-MOT.SG PST=cause-IND 2-STA.SG-EPEN (8) NEG=frequent coming-NOM.PL

murnende mōd, nales metelīste.
Troubled my mind not missing meals.

n-‘ éd-on ég-ant-us m-ùs meín-am e=koís-a:
not-EL meal-MOT.PL miss-PTCP-NOM.SG 1-STA.SG mind-MOT.SG PST=trouble-IND

Gehýrest þū, Ēadwacer?  Uncerne earme hwelp bireð wulf tō wuda.
Do you hear, Eadwacer? Our wretched whelp Wulf bears to the woods.

uð-poot-ú. t-us ceúl-a-r:  ṁélǩ-us ṁíĸ-om do ṁ-ùm kílu skól-um-ə þlééȝ-a:
property-watch-VOC.SG 2-NOM.SG hear-IND-Q  wolf-NOM.SG woods-MOT.SG to 1-STA.PL wretched whelp-MOT.SG-EPEN carry-IND

Þæt mon ēaþe tōslīteð þætte naefre gesomnad wæs,
It is easy to tear apart what never united was:

nèǩum éb-aþ-om púl-u léénu és-a.
never unite-PTCP-MOT.SG sunder-SUP easy be-IND

uncer giedd geador.
our song together.

ṁ-ùm sénḷ-om còmu:
1-STA.PL song-MOT.SG together.

(1) Kindred signification is used commonly in Senjecas.
(2) The obviate person is used for differentiation.
(3) Subordinating conjunctions follow the subject of the clause.
(4) Alliteration in Senjecas allows the use of the stop, the fricative, and the approximant, voiced or unvoiced: kììqvi ǧémo...u=qóós-a, in this case, /k/, /g/, /G/.
(5) ṁùm...vúla is alliterative, /m_0/, /B/, since both are labials.
(6) ésa = ser; vúa = estar.
(7) EL = elision
(8) EPEN = epenthetic