To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2012 6:53 PM
Subject: Re: Accenting Vowels

I'm using Windows 7, and at the right-bottom of my screen I can modify the
language for my keyboard. I am learning Catalan, and there's a lot of accent
you can do in this language: ^, , , and ` on every vowels (for example: ,
, , ) (and you can also do the ). So maybe using your keyboard in the
"catalan" mode would faster than always adding a symbol by clicking on
"insertion" and "symbol". If you do other accents however, maybe other
natlangs mode for your keyboard would be better, I don't know.

Hope it helped.

That's close-- much the same on Windows XP. What you'd want to do is set your keyboard to US-International, which does all those things too. . (But not the raised dot used in Catalan to distinguish "ll" from l+l IIRC.) If you're not in the US, it might be different. For ex., single quote + a vowel give the acute accent , Shift-single quote + vowel gives the umlaut . Only problem is, if you just want real single or double quotes around a word beginning with a vowel, you have to hit the space-bar. One gets used to it........

And finally, of course, one can resort to Left-Alt + numbers from the keypad. The vowels with diacritics and some other characters are in the range 0192-0255. Make a list!! Some of the numbers below 0192 also produce usable things (like L-Alt 0167 ), but not all of them work on all browsers.

Also, with the US-Intl. setting (and likely with your Catalan setting), Right-Alt + regular keyboard gives much the same, but you have to remember which is which. e.g. R-Alt + a > , R-Alt + w > , R-Alt +z >  etc. etc. Again, make a list if you don't use these characters often enough to memorize them. (This might not work, or work differently, on a Dvorak keyboard.)

Nicole-- what does your screen reader do when it encounters a vowel with an accent mark? Could it be a problem???