On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Nikolay Ivankov <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> All these attempts seem to give people self-assurance: if we are not
> superior de facto, then we should be superior by definintion, and that's
> precisely why "everyone is against us".
>
> Do your concultures exploit this idea. Does any of your conculture claims
> that the others "speak a variant/bastard of our lang" just because they are
> in an inferior position?

I had originally wanted to make the language of the "white magic" spirits
be the proto-form of the language of "black magic" (Malviz), which would
make practitioners of white magic able to make a somewhat legitimate claim
that Malviz was a "corrupted" form of the language.  Now I've decided I'm
going to just derive sister languages, so they may still make that claim,
but it won't have any facts behind it.

Of course, that's only for the magical languages of my world.  I haven't
really worked out all the sociolinguistics of the human languages, other
than a few random ideas about where a given language is dominant.