On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 12:11 PM, Patrick Dunn <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Currently, though, the Oa have a fully developed scientific method and have
> applied it to the study of language.  They have reconstructed Proto-Oasa
> and understand their their language is just one derivation from it out of
> many.  Just like in our word, people ignorant of the science might make odd
> claims or assumptions, but educated Oa know that there's no inherent
> primacy in their language.

In the real world, even highly educated people have erroneous beliefs about
language.  In fact, I think some of the best educated people I've known
really don't know much about linguistics and how language actually works.
 This includes ethnocentric beliefs  such as the widespread beliefs that
English is exceptionally simple/irregular/expressive/logical or any other
thing to justify it being the global lingua franca rather than the actual
reasons: international economics, geopolitics, and prestigious cultural
artifacts.