2012/12/17 Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]>:
> --- On Sun, 12/16/12, Leonardo Castro <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> ....BTW, does any natlang have some kind of "gemination for emphasis"?
>
> Sure. English does it, to some extent:
>
> the word "little" I'd pronounce as [lIdl] (hope I used the right brackets!);
> but for emphasis, [lIt_tl] with heavier stress on both syllables, but what's

BTW, "little" as pronounced by most Americans sound as [li4@l] to my ears.

---

2012/12/16 Herman Miller <[log in to unmask]>:
> If anything, I'd think -o would be confused more likely with -u than with
> -e, with the backness and the visual cue of lip rounding.

Besides, most of the time, one can infer by semantic limitations if
the verb is in active or passive form. But there are some verbs, such
as "to be larger than" that would possibly cause some confusion if
it's not clear what is larger than what.