2012/12/17 Garth Wallace <[log in to unmask]>:
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 2:16 PM, Leonardo Castro <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> How common is using "good" and "bad" to refer to "straight" and
>> "curly/frizzy/kinky" air?
>>
>> Is it a product of white-black contact or did it occur before?
>

> It's pretty much limited to the African-American community. I would
> guess it's relatively recent, but have no facts to back it up.
RM I don't get around much anymore in the AA community, but I know that kinky hair used to be stigmatized, and some went to great lengths to try to straighten it.. I thought that kind of thinking vanished with the Black Pride movement...... IMO most Americans (at least northerners ;-) ) didn't see any problem, though I suppose kinky hair was a well-ingrained stereotype.
LC Indeed, I asked that because I have been recently hearing these
expressions in the African-American community context, but I have
always heard the same expressions in Brazilian Portuguese, "cabelo
bom" e "cabelo ruim", in a kind of gradation from straight to kinky
hair.
Is that used by most Brazilians, whether of Euro or Afro descent, or mainly by Afro-Brazilians?