--- Matthew Turnbull wrote:

> I was wondering how other languages, natural or constructed handle matched
> lists. In English they seem to be handled by the word respectively.

In the more poetic or higher prose registers (you know, flowery language)
of Rumellian, they handle these matched lists by the simple
versijuxtaposition of the two lists in question:

Petrec Poulec Mariec mercrevosenti maccemec poumemec peremec.

At first read, the uninitiated will treat this as "Peter, Paul and Mary
bought mangoes, apples and pears (respectively). In actuality, Peter bought the pears, Paul bought the apples and Mary bought the mangoes.

So in other words, the hearer must recompose the sentence in his mind from
the outside in: (A (B (C + C1) B1) A1) if you take my meaning.

They do this kind of winding dance with whole long sentences, subordinate
clauses and the component parts of clauses as well; and generally, the
sentence following will reverse the pattern:

Petrec Poulec Mariec mercrevosenti maccemec poumemec peremec attanc
tperemec tpoumemec tmaccemec edadvosenti cet Marccedec cet Premedec cet
Peinemec.

So now the two lists of fruits, although in content identical, are now
reversed in order: Peter still bought the pears, but they now come first
and are given to Payne, who comes last in the list of recipients.

Sadly, there's no way to keep track of the shifting movement of the dance
morphologically. I guess you just have to be exposed to the conventions
of the recitational art of the language.

Padraic