In my two most well-developed conlangs ai Basata and Txtana the word
"if" is a conjunction which connects two complete sentences and must
come between them: "I stay home IF the storm arrives." I tend to
simplification and would likely use the simple present tense to imply
counter-factuals: "I do not say that IF I am you." or possibly even "I
do not say that WHEN I am you." Or if I really wanted to make it clear
that I'm talking about hypotheticals I might invent a new conjunction
something like "I do not say such things WERE-IT-SO-THAT I am you."
but I would still use the present tense with it. (I prefer to avoid
needless proliferation of tenses.)

--gary