On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 11:14 AM, J. 'Mach' Wust
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 09:09:05 -0800, Gary Shannon wrote:
>>I've never tried to think of a name for that, even though I've always
>>enjoyed playing around with alternate orthographies and alternate
>>scripts. (I'm as fluent reading English in Shavian script as I am
>>reading Roman script.)
>
> I envy you for that! Even in the scripts I can write fluently, my
> reading skills are reduced to identifying letter by letter. I recently
> read an extensive number of tengwar texts, and it took lots of time.
> What I missed most was that I couldn't scan back over, say, the
> beginning of the last paragraph

In 1963 a friend of mine and I both got copies of "Androcles and the
Lion" in the Shavian script (Penguin paperbacks) and spent a whole
summer reading and writing notes and letters to each other in the
script until we became very fluent. Then back in the 90's I joined a
Shavian newsgroup on the Internet and was surprised that I was still
fluent in it. That only lasted a few months, though. Then a month or
so ago I stumbled across some Shavian manuscripts I had printed out
years ago and surprised myself again by being able to read them with
ease.

In contrast, I dropped out of Russian class after the first semester
because I couldn't master the alphabet, and even as a math major in
college I have never learned the Greek alphabet beyond the first four
letters. Oh, and "Omega". But I learned that by watching "Omega Man".
(hehe)

--gary