> Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 21:08:01 -0600
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: contrafactual morphosyntax
> To: [log in to unmask]

> > How do you handle contrary-to-fact conditions and conclusions in your
> > conlang(s), such as "If I were you, I wouldn't do that"?

In Géarthnuns, the protasis goes into the speculative mood, and the supercalifragilisticexpialidocious goes into the conclusive. There is less rigidity about grammatically expressing irrealis than in English et al. Since I can *never* be you, why bother marking it overtly ("If I am you..." "Being you..." "À ta place...")? But if you *really* feel the need to distinguish between "If I win the lottery, I will..." and "If I won the lottery, I would...", there is the adverb "ölzdenü" (or if you want to go Gangnam style, there's also "vürhí" (kind of like the difference between "maybe" and "perhaps"), which doesn't really translate, is placed in the apodosis, and just means, "Yo, you're dealing with contrary-to-fact here." Like Japanese  もし, the Géarthnuns word for "if" can be added or not, since the speculative in an opening subordinate clause kinda screams "protasis" at one anyway. Much of this is more about stylistic flourish than actual grammar.

Kou