On Dec 16, 2012, at 9:41 PM, Benct Philip Jonsson wrote:

> Diphthongization of /i:/ and /u:/ was a rather late and parallel rather
> than shared change in New High German and early Modern English.  (The
> dialects of the Scandinavian-speaking islands in the Baltic also have it
> although mainland Scandinavian and Low German don't have it.) There are NHG
> dialects where it hasn't happened, unlike English AFAIK. IIANM the change
> began earlier but took longer to complete in NHG. In early HG prints */i:/
> was spelled _ey_ while */ai/ was spelled _ei_ in order to cater for both
> pronunciations. /i:/ had frequently been spelled _y_ in MHG.

Agreed.

> As for shared innovations with other Germanic languages English is
> unquestionably closest related to Frisian.

I wouldn't say 'unquestionably'. If you go through the relative chronology of English, Frisian and Low German you will find that none of these varieties is closer to English than the other, in fact Frisian and Low German share more common old developments with each other than English. Much of the extant Low German literature is from further inland and partially heavily influenced by Low and Central Frankish varieties. In place names and occasionally also in literature you will find the typical Anglo-Frisian characteristics of raising of /a/ and /a:/ as well as palatalisation of /k/ and /g/ before front vowels.

> They share (early)
> palatalization of velars in contact with pre-umlaut front vowels, loss of
> nasals before fricatives with compensatory lengthening, fronting of *a and
> *ā to [& E], unrounding of (the glide of) *au and  monophthongization of
> *ai to a new /A:/. Southern Middle English and most of Frisian also share
> rounding of the latter. All this clearly identifies Anglofrisian as a
> grouping within West Germanic.

Of which the coastal dialects of older Low German must have had at some point...

> Parts of Scandinavian has gone through some
> similar changes but mostly at a later time and with partly different
> conditions, which makes them parallel rather than shared innovations.

Agreed.
Dan