On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 08:23:30 -0600, Wm Annis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> For Dec11, I'm looking at 3 possibilities, all inflectional. Dec11 indicative mood forms are inflected for aspect (perfect, imperfective, prospective, and aoristic) and tense (past, present, and future). etc.
>> (1) replace the aspect marking with a contrafactual suffix; the contrafactual mood won't distinguish aspect.
>
>I would be inclined to avoid this.  I admit this aversion comes to me by
>way of classical Greek, which preserves aspect at the expense of tense
>in contrafactuals.

Do you mean an aversion to the classical Greek method or an aversion to the other method because of cl.Greek?

(2) actually sounds the best of the 3. Also, the subjunctive and imperative have aspect and 0-tense marking (the subjunctives are relatively present).

>One interesting thing you might want to consider: contrafactual marking
>is often created by combining markers for the past and the future tense.
>Ancient Greek does so (aorist or imperfective with the modal particle
>ἄν "an", which has a strong whiff of the future about it, especially early
>in its history), and Navajo pulls it off with future tense marking on the
>verb with the past particle ńt'ę́ę́' (with several variations).

I thought of using the past prospective, but that could be only the future contrafactual.