>Prof. Fomenko from Moscow State University is one of the saddest examples
>of this kind. An absolutely brilliant mathematician, both as a researcher
>and as a teacher. I admire his books and his lectures. And yet the one of
>the most published author of historical and linguistic profanities, with
>passages like: "Ancient Russians (sic! - N.I.) grounded a city on Tiber and
>called it with the best word they've had: 'Mir' (peace). However, the
>ignorant Latin speakers have read this word in the wrong direction, and so
>the name Rim (Russian way of saying 'Rome' - N.I) appeared." The "theory"
>is based on a "correct" interpretation of astronomical data, and claims, in
>particular, that Peloponnesian War was actually The Fourth Crusade.

Mhm, read some of his host of books and it's sad indeed... Fomenko took Voltaire's joke that 'vowels count for nothing and consonants for very little' at face value (I mean, it's *literally* what he says and how he works!), but it's really a common occurrence around the world, one way or the other. I think it has its roots in the school system: How come schools all over the world shy away from teaching basic linguistics? A course about the language families of the world akin to geography, with excursuses into the history of the field (Indo-European etc.), and a discussion of the employed methods would be enough to lift a lot of ignorance.
So for me, it is equally sad to see people criticize Fomenko over-zealously without asking the question how it can happen that an established mathematician can produce such ridiculous linguistic blunders.

But as a sidenote: As a mathematician Fomenko should at least realize basic statistics - namely that if one slackens matching criteria far enough (removing vowels, allowing for word reversals), then one can match everything to anything just by coincidence! The same goes for his event-matching of chronicles.