On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 15:30:29 -0600
George Corley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> In the US, they are often termed Native Americans or American
> Indians, or Amerindians in more technical contexts.  Canada
> officially uses First Nations, though I think more specific terms
> like Inuit and Aleut tend to be more common as you get into the far
> northern tribes.  And the usual Spanish term is _indígena_
> "indigenous", though _indio_ also appears.

As I understand it, the Mexican fault-line is linguistic. If your L1
isn't Spanish, you're an indio. If it is, you're a mestizo, no matter
how hard-pressed you'd be to trace a Spanish ancestor.

It occurred to me the other day that almost all of those whom
yanks/gringos (if am I allowed to use such terms) call "hispanics" are
actually mestizos, and hence Native Americans. The immigration is
really the indigenous inhabitants taking their land back!