                Where I’ve been growing up, “good hair” simply means “hair
that’s good in some context” and “bad hair” just means “hair that’s bad in
some context.”  It’s just like when one talks about “good sugar cookies”
and “bad eggnog” and the like.

                Of course, here in Narnia where folk have hair, or
feathers, or scales, or the occasional tail, sometimes one has to guess
what exactly is meant by “good hair.”  A hairdo that looks nice on a mouse
may look quite odd on a beaver.

                I’m told that there’s a similar situation out in Oz, or at
least that’s what the exchange students from Oz tell me.  Princess Ozma
tells me that a “good witch” is beautiful and provides nice footwear for
the traveler, whilst a “bad witch” is ugly and threatens one’s dog.

                But let’s get back to hair.

##

                In the Khlìjha language we have many, many words to
describe hair.  It gives us something to discuss when we’re not being
chased by Clockwork Automata or Rainbow Serpents.  Some of these hair terms
are compounds, others appear to have a recognizable element to them, and
some of them I have not yet been able to analyze.

                Qyìkhait simply means “curly hair” or “wavy hair.”

                Tqìtlhu, tqìtlhung means “those who have straight hair.”

                We have many different words for folk with differently
colored hair.

                Fhtòsa, fhtòsar means “brunettes, those who have brown
hair.”  Brown hair is quite common in the Winterlands, by the way.

                Khwiîna, khwiînaim means “those who are black of hair.”  This
hair color is considered quite exotic due to its rarity.  Maidens who are
khwiîna are often compared to the xátar, that is, the night rose.  Crown
Prince Puîyos has a cousin quite famed for having hair this dark.

                Syòtang, syòtangim means “those who are red of hair.”  Red
or reddish hair is often a sign of Noble Caste or of the Divine Family
itself, as all children know.

                The term “rosy haired” or “roseate haired” one hears quite
a bit in Fairy tales, and these are all compounds:  xhthaînkhusar,
xhthainkhusaîraru; sipeîngqesar, sipeingqesaîraru; lrestopfhìtlhetso,
khlólàswar.

                Golden haired maidens are often descended from the War
Clans of Jaràqtu, and the different words for “those who are golden of
hair” are jìkhre, jìkhra; lweûswit, lweûswitim, and íxho.  There’s also a
special word that means “golden hair” or “tresses of golden hair:” khniên,
khniêmu.

                Some slightly vaguer terms are: fhùpasar, fhupasâraru;
xhámipfhìtlhetso, and xhiyóqàswar.  They all mean “those who are fair
haired,” and so may refer to those who are golden or even silver of
hair.  These
were common epithets for the holy Moon Empress Khnoqwísi whose hair was
silvery white.

                Finally we come to wtsaungèfhtosa, wtsaungèfhtosar: “green
haired maidens” and wtsaungekhwiîna, wtsaungekhwiînaim “blue haired
maidens.”  Green hair and blue hair, as we all know, are considered quite
desirable for wives and concubines.

                Let’s look at some hair words for men:

                Tqalofhóro; peîsqru; qlúra, qlúras; jhyóya, jhyóyas;
khàlro, khàlroim are all words that mean “those who have wispy hair, are
grey-haired.”

                And it should be noted that Crown Prince Puîyos’ father,
Sieur Íngìkhmar, was indeed named after the color íngìkhmar, íngìkhmu,
which means “those who are melancholy blue,” in honor of his rather blue
sky hair.

                Now let’s get to some fancier words.

                Tuxhwapfhìtlhetso, khlòrfhasar, khlorfhasaîru, and
khmoîswar all mean “those who have lovely hair, are lovely haired.”  ‘Tis
most often used to describe Crown Princess Éfhelìnye.

                In a similar vein she is sometimes described as
tserakhàpfheri, tserakhapfheîri; qaqwixayàrxa, qaqwixayaîrasu, and
thésanèxhneweir, all of which mean “those who have curvy hair that
resembles the dawn.”

                And since her hair often appears as flame made up of all
the colors of the rainbow, sometimes ‘tis described as ithùrpuru, which
basically just means “iridescence, those who are iridescent, multicolored.”

                In contrast, Crown Prince Puîyos is often described as wtsé
or tsasyòswar or siltupfhìtlhetso, or khyáyosar, khyáyosaîraru, which mean
“those who have floppy hair, are floppy haired.”

                It should be noted, however, that his hair is also
described as kutúqàtlheka, or pelquixhethàrlro, or thoxhersoxhetharlrúwa,
thoxhersoxhetharlrúwu, which mean “those who have tresses that smell like
candy canes.”  For his rather melancholy blue hair does have a slight candy
cane odor to it.

                I would advise you, however, that should you meet him, not
to lick his hair, no matter how tasty tempting that may seem.  The Crown
Princess really doesn’t like it when one licks her sweetheart’s hair.

                She doesn’t like it at all.