One could say "Je n'ai jamais fumé non plus." in the context where someone would have implied you do. For example, if one says "Si tu es vraiment contre la cigarette, il faudrait que tu le démontres." (If you're really against cigarette, you have to show it.) Then the other could reply "Je ne fume pas non plus.". The "non plus" imply something like "in contrary of what you implied/seemed to think", but I'm now sure if there are a good translation for it in English. One could say "That's why I don't smoke.", but that doesn't keep the exact meaning.

But I agree with everything that have been said previously. When using the "moi non plus" construction, it is because it has just been mentioned that another person doesn't or other people don’t; but it doesn't have to be the speaker; it could be for example: A. Dieu ne fume pas. B. Moi non plus. (A. God doesn't smoke. B. Me neither.).

-Mat

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Constructed Languages List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] De la part de Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
Envoyé : mercredi 19 décembre 2012 14:10
À : [log in to unmask]
Objet : Re: USAGE: French what does "n'ignore pas non plus" mean?

On 19 December 2012 13:15, René Uittenbogaard <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> So "non plus" can be used with other types of negations?
>
> Je n'ai jamais fumé non plus = I have never smoked either ?
> Je ne vois personne non plus = I don't see anyone either ?
>
> René

Yes, they can, although not exactly as you wrote above. Take the following
exchange:

– J'ai jamais fumé.
– J'ai jamais fumé moi non plus.

i.e.:
"I've never smoked."
"I've never smoked either."

This is perfectly correct French, although most usually the reply will
simply be "moi non plus" (without repeating the full sentence). Adding
"moi" here is necessary, otherwise the sentence will feel stilted, although
it doesn't feel grammatically incorrect.

This awkwardness is shared with the affirmative equivalent of "non plus":
"aussi". Saying "je vois aussi quelqu'un" ("I see someone too") feels just
as stilted as the examples you gave. A better sentence would be "je vois
quelqu'un moi aussi", or more simply "moi aussi".

The issue is more stylistic, I think, than grammatical. Your sentences are
perfectly correct. They just feel a bit awkward, and adding the emphatic
personal pronoun somehow removes that awkwardness.
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/