On Dec 11, 2012, at 7:59 PM, Herman Miller wrote:

> But eventually the discoverers of elements run out of ideas for names and start naming them after places and people. We've got four elements named after Ytterby, Sweden.

Sort of off-topic -- I've wondered for a while what the *linguistic* connection between those four elements' names is; e.g. are there four dialect forms for the village? or were (partial) syllables just dropped arbitrarily dropped from the base name ytterbium?

I do know there's a surname Yttri, which I would *think* would be the actual origin of _yttrium_.