--- On Sat, 12/22/12, Matthew Boutilier <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
i'm trying to think of how, in natlangs (or realistic conlangs), non-velar
consonants can BECOME velar.

i'm working on a hopefully realistic conlang, and i've got a velar series
(just /k_h/ and /k/ and /x/) becoming glottal. however, i really don't want
a big gaping hole in my phonology where velars used to be, and i'm
wondering how i can fill it.

the only natlang example of this that i can think of is in Hawaiian where
*t became /k/ after *k moved back to /?/. (i've heard that this might not
even be so precise, and there's some colloquial dialect of Hawaiian -- or
maybe i'm thinking of Samoan (or both) -- that lacks /k/ entirely, but i'm
really not sure.)

It turns out that *k > ? or 0, then *t > k, is not uncommon in other Austronesian languages. Robert Blust has written a paper on the subject -- it's hidden away in Project Muse, but I have a pdf copy that someone kindly provided me.

anyone have suggestions?

thanks
matt