Larry,

While what you say is true (and no, I am not so rigid as to say topics
should *never* go off topic, or that they should *immediately* be put
under a new thread the moment they do--that I think would be counter
productive to the purpose of the List and do more harm than good), I
have found, in the past with the List, looking back myself, that the
experience has been, for the most part, difficult and unfavourable, to
say the least. Never once have I put a question to the List where it was
not picked apart by the vast majority or (even worse) completely ignored.

I am not a linguist by training or schooling. I merely took up
conlanging as a means to and ends at some point as I began developing my
fantasy world some ten or more years ago now and after reading Tolkien
and seeing how much could be added to a world through a functioning
language. In fact, after reading Tolkien, I became somewhat of a snob on
this point, and had trouble believing a fantasy world that did not
include a solid linguistic structure and created names seemingly out of
the blue. Language indeed seemed quintessential. In the past, I had
moved through the process somewhat blindly, at one point even taking a
long hiatus from developing my world, in part, because I was developing
headaches from trying to work out how to develop a language properly and
having to revisit my rules constantly, every time I learned something
new that contradicted what I was doing or added new light to it.

Two years ago (or more now) I returned again to the work, again being
reminded of how important it was that I develop these languages once and
for all and to make some definitive choices to move on with things. That
is when I read Mark Rosenfelder's book and learned about the Conlang
List. Even now I still don't quite have the confidence in what I am
doing as a conlanger, as I never know if I am doing it "right." Again,
I've had no formal training, and though I had studied Italian for four
years (which does put me ahead of people who have never studied a
language--and I might add, sentence structure and conjugations was were
I excelled in Italian, even if I couldn't always remember the proper
words) and know a decent amount about Tolkien's Sindarin and Quenya (to
be a geek about it), my lack of knowledge makes the task burdensome and
stressful at times.

Getting back to my original point, however, though I may have mislabeled
the "hypmotize" discussion, my questions (as an amateur conlanger) have
been met with such criticism it has gotten to the point where I just
won't put a question to the List anymore (the last straw was when I was
told by someone, I don't recall who anymore, that I wasn't asking the
right question or not asking it properly--now even the way I'm putting
my question is going to be analysed?!). And, in the most desperate of
occasions, if I find I absolutely must ask a question, I type my
question, hit the send button and literally cringe, knowing that the
question will be panned, criticised, analysed, picked apart, and all
other like responses, by a great many people, in order for me to get the
one or two responses that might actually be helpful to me.

Though I will append, I do think the last question I asked was actually
met with a greater amount of helpful information than criticism and had
me think of the List a little more favourably. But, in general, I have
to say my experience with the List has not been good. I *would* think,
in general the List would want to help those less knowledgeable
conlangers, if for no other reason than to better promote the act of
conlanging and to enrich the conlangs of those who are on the List.

That said, again, there are many who my gripes do not apply to, and
perhaps even more of you who I have never had any dealings with
whatsoever. Still, to be perfectly honest, if someone were to ask me if
I would recommend joining the List as a means of helping them learn more
about conlanging, I might advise them to go elsewhere to learn what they
could, and only use the List as a last resort, if at all.

If I seem temperamental in this, or a bit foggy in getting to the point,
please excuse me. I'm running a 100.2 fever today. Perhaps it's not the
best time to start a discussion such as this. Still, despite my
criticisms, I do hope my opinion of the List will change in time. I
think it's a wonderful thing, in theory, having an active group such as
this, for people to discuss and share information with each other, and
its for that reason, if for no other, that I am still on the List.

I wish you all the best and a very Happy New Year.

Sincerely,
J. M. DeSantis
Writer - Illustrator

Official Website: jmdesantis.com <http://www.jmdesantis.com>