Hi,

I'm starting work on some TEI encoding of the words to some 16th-century
French songs (which I'm mostly really treating more like poems).  The
project director and other participants have agreed we should encode mute
Es in these texts, for which I intend to use <c type="mute">e</c>.  Mostly,
we think the users of our project will be interested in noting (fairly
rare) mute in the "inside" parts of lines of verse, but we're debating
whether we should also tag mute Es that also more frequently occur at the
*ends* of lines of verse.  (In French poetry, if a line of verse ends with
a word ending in e, the last consonant and e don't get counted as a
separate syllable the way they do if they occur elsewhere in the line.)
These line-final Es get a special name in French poetry (rime feminine),
and I wonder if I should go ahead and encode them with the <c> tag as mute,
or if I should come up with a different tag for them, or not tag them at
all.

I realize this is partly a question of usership (will our users understand
that it's a conventional given that Es at the end of the line of French
poetry are always mute?  Or, if we left these tags out at the ends of
lines, would that be inconsistent?  Another possibility, if we did tag Es
at the ends of lines as mute, would we be confusing users since these words
are actually songs and in a musical context, these syllables, I believe,
would have been pronounced and sung?)  While I can't expect forum
participants to sort that part out for me, I wonder if anyone can elucidate
the <c> tag for me: if I use it, do I need to use it systematically for
*every* E character that is mute, or can I be more flexible with it if I
signal that in the header?

Also, does anyone know of any TEI projects that encode French poetry and do
any encoding of syllable counts or mute Es or anything like that? I have
looked but have not been super successful.

with gratitude for your input,
Michelle Miller