On 1/25/2013 3:47 AM, Lou Burnard wrote:
> On 25/01/13 03:58, John P. McCaskey wrote:
>> Is there a good way to make an <idno> a link? <ref> isn't allowed
>> inside it. It has no @target.
>>
>> The Example includes
>> <idno type="DOI">http://dx.doi.org/10.1000/123</idno>
>> <idno type="URL">http://authority.nzetc.org/463/</idno>
>> but I don't see how to tag those as URLs.
>>
>> For non-web addresses, it could be nice to include a link to the
>> cataloging system, something like
>> <idno type="Wing" xml:base="http://eebo.chadwyck.com/"
>> target="search?bibnum=C695">C695</idno>
> As currently conceived, <idno> contains the identifier of its parent
> and an identifier is not the same thing as a link. Use <ref> or <ptr>
> for the latter. It may well be possible to transform an <idno> into a
> link, of course, or vice versa, but I think the two should not be
> confused. The transformation process is going to be very
> application/system dependent and changeable in time: I think it's
> better to define it in the processor/stylesheet than the encoding.

I see. That makes good sense. Let me reconceptualize the question then.

What's the best way for a document to announce to its consumers what the
@type attribute in <idno> means? How to say, for example, that a @type
of "ASIN" refers to an Amazon catalog number and not an Australian
Serials number? How to do for idno @type vocabularies what XML namespace
declarations do for namespace abbreviations?

I have in mind a machine-readable form, not just a prose statement.

Something like catRef? some use of catRef?

-- JPM