On 28/01/13 14:01, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> On 28 Jan 2013, at 13:50, John P. McCaskey
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Either way, where should an encoder announce whether a <p>
>> was seen to begin on a new line? In the ODD? In
>> encodingDesc? And which one should silence be taken to
>> indicate?
>>
> i think you're misunderstanding. <p> and <lb> operate
> independently. if you decide to mark lines, you do so with
> <lb/>. If you choose to mark paragraphs, you do so with <p>.
> The two do not interdepend.

They are marking two completely different things, one is physical
line breaks the other is that the encoder has interpreted that
there is the semantic construct we know as a paragraph here and
also wishes to record that interpretation. If there is something
about the rendering of that paragraph (in the original, since TEI
files do *not* say anything about the output since, for one of
many reasons, there may be many outputs and uses for the files)
then using typical TEI methods to record information about the
source's rendering are used. (e.g. @rend or @rendition)

Otherwise encodingDesc seems like the right place to be saying
general things like that all paragraphs in the original have a
new line before them. I think the usual case is that people
decide some basic editorial methods for their project, hopefully
(but sadly far too often not) document these in their header, and
then only when their interpretations contradict those general
principles do they note them.  (So noting where a paragraph
_doesn't_ start with a new line.)  I realise that isn't very
useful for your use case.

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, [log in to unmask]