Hi all,

We're attempting to create a born-digital TEI document which consists of
a <castList> for a Shakespeare (ultimately all of them, in fact).
There's one particular issue I'm having trouble encoding. Here's a snippet:

<castItem xml:id="Polonius">
   <role>Polonius</role>
   <role>Corambis</role>
</castItem>

In one quarto of Hamlet, Polonius is called Corambis; elsewhere he's
Polonius. I need to find some way of specifying this on the <role>
element. Ideally, it would be an attribute with a datatype of
one-to-infinity data.pointers, so I could point to the versions in which
the character has this name.

For other plays, the same applies to <castItem> itself; a character may
only appear in specific versions. Similarly, in some versions a
character may be non-speaking, which I can specify using <roleDesc>, but
I need to be able to point from <roleDesc> to the versions to which it
applies.

None of the attributes* available on <castItem>, <role> or <roleDesc>
seems suitable for this. Has anyone else faced the same problem, and if
so, how did you solve it?

Note that this has nothing to do with witnesses or textual variation;
this is a born-digital modern cast list, which just needs to point to
other files containing the relevant versions.

All help appreciated,
Martin

* They all have the same attributes: 	att.global (@xml:id, @n,
@xml:lang, @rend, @style, @rendition, @xml:base, @xml:space)