On 18/01/13 16:16, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> Day 1: she discovers the idea of markup, TEI, XML (poor thing). she uses oXygen and
> presses a button to render her XML using CSS (or HTML), confirming  she is doing it right.
> she loves it.
>
> Day 2: she uses a higher-level digital library framework
> into which she will upload her new transcription, and that framework will
> check it, and then displays it in variant ways. If the framework uses XSL and my stylesheets, thats great,
> but she needn't know that.
>
> Day 3: she attends a summer school and learns some more TEI, some ideas about
> validation, and some notion that this rendering thing is under her control
>
> Day 4: she gets uppity and loads her text into some programme which does more than
> displays things. she is intrigued.
>
> Day 5: she attends another course on XSLT and writes her own analysis program
>
> Day 6: she finds herself teaching the day 1 course….

Like Cliff Wulfman, I think this is exactly the right sequence of events
for the willing learner aiming at enlightenment.

In my own teaching practice however, I find that exposing students early
on to the notion that there's more than one way to use the TEI (e.g. by
using Roma) makes the transition to "so how do I get this thing to do
what *I* want" a lot easier.

There will always be students who want out-of-the-box pre-digested
solutions of course, and there's nothing wrong with providing those by
whatever means. But if the TEI did that and nothing else it would not be
a very interesting or long lived initiative.