On 25/01/13 03:58, John P. McCaskey wrote:
> Is there a good way to make an <idno> a link? <ref> isn't allowed
> inside it. It has no @target.
>
> The Example includes
> <idno type="DOI">http://dx.doi.org/10.1000/123</idno>
> <idno type="URL">http://authority.nzetc.org/463/</idno>
> but I don't see how to tag those as URLs.
>
> For non-web addresses, it could be nice to include a link to the
> cataloging system, something like
> <idno type="Wing" xml:base="http://eebo.chadwyck.com/"
> target="search?bibnum=C695">C695</idno>
>
> -- John
> --
> *John P McCaskey PhD* *⋅* www.johnmccaskey.com *⋅*
> *Brown University*
> Political Theory Project 	⋅ 	*Stanford University*
> History & Philosophy of Science 	⋅ 	*Harvard University*
> I Tatti Renaissance Library 	⋅ 	*Stevens Institute of Technology*
> College of Arts & Letters

As currently conceived, <idno> contains the identifier of its parent and
an identifier is not the same thing as a link. Use <ref> or <ptr> for
the latter. It may well be possible to transform an <idno> into a link,
of course, or vice versa, but I think the two should not be confused.
The transformation process is going to be very application/system
dependent and changeable in time: I think it's better to define it in
the processor/stylesheet than the encoding.