I just looked at the TEI Boilerplate site. It may be great, but it is not
written in a language easily understood by the graduate students whom I
have in  mind and who 'can but spell' but are very willing to learn. Too
much of the documentation is given over to stuff that willing learners at
this stage of their competence do not (yet) need to worry about.

Take paragraph #4:

If you have problems with TEI Boilerplate with a modern browser, please
let us know by filing a bug report at
https://sourceforge.net/p/teiboilerplate/tickets/.

If you know how to file "a bug report at
https://sourceforge.net/p/boilerplate/tickets," you are way ahead of the
curve. The documentation is not written by somebody who has a clear idea
of the target audience. Or rather, the target audience is envisaged as
people who already know about the Web and need to know a little about TEI.
The users I have in mind know about 17th century poems or 19th century
local documents from some small town in Nebraska. They may not know what
it means to "install a directory on a web server."

And is TEI Boilerplate really a good name for a product that wants to
speak to novice users eager to learn?

Martin Mueller

Professor of English and Classics
Northwestern University