On 25 Jan 2013, at 13:02, "John P. McCaskey" <[log in to unmask]>
 wrote:

> What's the best way for a document to announce to its consumers what the @type attribute in <idno> means? How to say, for example, that a @type of "ASIN" refers to an Amazon catalog number and not an Australian Serials number? How to do for idno @type vocabularies what XML namespace declarations do for namespace abbreviations?
>
> I have in mind a machine-readable form, not just a prose statement.

you're opening a fairly big can of worms here, in wanting machine-readable definitions of @type? but working
with a system like http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-cRefPattern.html would seem to
be the way to start going.

whether anyone has ever implemented that, I'd not like to put money on...
--
Sebastian Rahtz
Director (Research Support) of Academic IT Services