On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Jörg Rhiemeier <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Hallo conlangers!
>
> On Saturday 12 January 2013 18:53:18 Patrick Dunn wrote:
>
> > H. sapiens evolved about 200,000 ybp, and the commonly accepted date for
> > the start of language is between 30,000 and 100,000 ybp.  Why is that?
>  Why
> > wouldn't one simply assume that H. sapiens had language from the get-go?
> >  What's the evidence for such a late date?
>
> I never understood this discrepancy, either.  I think it is simply
> that many linguists are not up to date what regards human evolution,
> and still work with older timelines of human evolution that are now
> known to be too shallow.

I have never heard the 30,000 year figure.  Any time I have heard a
linguist say it they have said it could it the origin of language was
between 100,000 years ago and a million years ago -- not picking one or
proposing another date, but actually saying that that is the range.
 Unfortunately, I haven't read the actual literature that this comes from.