Hallo conlangers!

On Monday 14 January 2013 20:16:53 R A Brown wrote:

> [...]
> On 14/01/2013 16:30, JŲrg Rhiemeier wrote:
> > Hallo conlangers! [snip]
> >
> > Yet, the notion of hidebound Neanderthals is an
> > uncertain one; they certainly weren't the primitive
> > brutes as which they were portrayed in the days of our
> > grandfathers, but still, the apparent complete absence of
> > evidence for fine arts from their archaeological remains
> > is something that cannot easily be swept aside.
>
> Also Neanderthals existed in pretty harsh environments where
> just surviving probably took up much of their time.  You
> need a bit spare time to start getting imaginative.

Sure.  Advanced civilizations cannot grow everywhere.  But even
the Inuit, who live in an environment at least as harsh as what
the Neanderthals lived in, have a more sophisticated culture
than what the Neanderthals ever seem to have achieved - and the
Cro Magnon people lived in *the same* environment as the
Neanderthals, and were more sophisticated.  They made fine art
and even musical instruments, and had an edge of whatever sort
over the Neanderthals.

> > (Also, let us not forget that we did not evolve from
> > Neanderthals; they were our cousins, not our ancestors,
> > at least not to a major degree. They may have had their
> > own innovations in language evolution which may have been
> > different from ours.)
>
> Now that's a thought   :)
>
> If HSN had been the survivor and HSS lost out, human
> language might be quite different.   That surely is a
> challenging conlang scenario    ;)

Right!  I have repeatedly had the idea of inventing a language
of Neanderthals surviving in a remote valley of the Caucasus
(cryptozoologists claim that there indeed are Neanderthals
there), but I have no idea what kind of conlang would do them
justice; also, I have too many projects already!

This is an intellectual minefield where you have to take great
care not to be accused of racial slurs ;)

--
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
"BÍsel asa …am, a …am atha cvanthal a cvanth atha …amal." - SiM 1:1