Not quite conlang related, but you folks tend to know what you're talking
about when it comes to language!

I've just started a class on the history of the English language and the
text is Joseph Williams' Origins of the English Language. It's a bit old
(my copy's from 1975), and I imagine theories about the history of English
must have changed at least a little in the last thirty years. I was curious
if anyone here is familiar with the book and could comment on whether it's
a good text, has some failings, or is a good text with some failings--and
what sort of failings I should watch out for in it. I was particularly
interested in taking this class because I have such a poor understanding of
how languages evolve over time (and I'd like to apply these sorts of
changes to my conlang; looks like this is a little conlang-related after
all!), but I'd rather avoid filling up my head with misinformation.