On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 8:44 AM, Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > > I discussed this elsewhere and those who know more about Star Trek than
> > > me seem to be saying that there is too much already written about
> > > Vulcans and their space elvish language,
> >
> > But the Vulcans of Star Trek do NOT exist.
>
> True, and he didn't say they actually exist, but even if they did, there
> would be no reason to suppose they must speak a logical language (such as
> Lojban). We know just enough about Star Trek Vulcan culture, physiology
> and psychology to know that they are not so different from us: they are
> not logical by nature, but rather by long and arduous training. It may
> very well be that those Vulcans who are deepest in the art of logic use
> some kind of loglang as a second language; but I'd doubt that such a beast
> would be their cradle language.

We really don't have any info on the Vulcan language.  As far as I know,
there are only a few lines in the language, developed by Mark Okrand to
match the mouth movements of the scene as performed in English.  I'm sure
people have analyzed that small bit of data quite thoroughly, but I doubt
we'll see more of Vulcan language later on.

> Within the ST universe, we also know that Romulans and Vulcans are very
> close (if not identical) physiologically and they have a shared history.
> It would stand to reason that the basic nature of the Vulcan language(s)
> is more like that of the Romulans, barring some sort of radical purge.

It is well-established and often stated that the Romulan and Vulcan
languages are similar, so no purge.  Probably both races speak some
descendant of a language that existed before the split, which would in turn
be at least a descendant of a language that existed before the Vulcans
learned to suppress their emotions.  Certainly such a language would be
naturally evolved.

> > > but I think real world Vulcans would either convert their natural
> > > language to a loglan or write one from scratch.
>
> They might very well do the latter.

That would be very interesting to explore.  I've noticed that as Star Trek
went on Vulcan Logic became less a rationalist ideology and more of a
religion of sorts.  Vulcans always did have incorrect or unusual ideas as
to what was "logical" (look up the "Straw Vulcan" trope), and as their
culture got fleshed out through the decades with rituals and mythology it
seems more and more that Vulcan Logic is very dogmatic and is revered in a
way that seems quite religious.

As such, it's hard to predict what they would do.  Would they decide that
the "logical" course of action would be to keep their own language, just
out of pure pragmatism?  Would they iron out some irregularities and be
done with it?  Or would the priesthood develop a loglang for themselves?
 Lots of interesting questions that we, unfortunately, can't answer, since
none of us get paid by Paramount to write about Vulcans.