On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 12:57 PM, Mathieu Roy <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> FINAL THOUGH: If there were no natural languages, how would you create one
> and why? Do you think it would look like our natural languages and why?

If we invented it it would by definition not be natural.

We forget, perhaps, as conlangers that language is at its root biological.
If there were no natural language, there could be no language at all,
because we wouldn't have the neural architecture to support it.

(Now, in point of fact, I happen to be a nonmaterialist, so I don't
entirely buy that argument, but it's what I think most linguists would
say.  What *I* suspect is that our neural architecture exists *because*
language does, but that's nearly approaching mysticism, not science, so I
step away from it gently and the rest is silence.)

order from Finishing Line
and