On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 3:37 PM, Ralph DeCarli <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> --snip--
> > For programming purposes the method is extremely useful, but for
> > the purpose of describing the algorithm I can't use existing terms
> > like "parts of speech" without misleading the reader. Thus the
> > need for a new term.
> >
> > So the question is not "does the method work?" For programming
> > purposes, it does. The questions is, what shall I call it?
> >
> > ---snip---
> >
> Who would your audience be? Confusing them least would depend on
> their background.

Realistically, my main audience would probably be my own future self,
when I go back in ten years to try to understand the code.

> I did something (possibly) similar and ended up with
> 'Objects' (mostly nouns) 'Descriptors' (mostly adjectives and
> adverbs) and 'Relationships' (everything else, including verbs). One
> might guess that I have a background in data modeling.
>
> I don't know if this will help, but you can see the upshot here.

That looks interesting.

I was wondering too how useful it might be to go to the opposite
extreme of what I had proposed and just tag words as "part of a noun
phrase" (which would include nouns, pronouns, adjectives, articles,
quantifiers, demonstratives,...), or "part of a verb phrase"
(including verbs, adverbs, auxiliaries,,,). Beyond that, the third
part of speech might be "connectors" like pronouns, conjunctions,
commas, and some other stuff (?)

So there would only be three parts of speech: Nouny, Verby, and
Connectors. A tagged sentence might look like:

	All/N sorts/N of/C strange/N articles/N were/V arranged/V on/C the/N shelves/N

In fact, it seems like no meaning is lost when the contiguous
like-tagged groups are permuted (internally):

	Sorts/N all/N of/C articles/N strange/N arranged/V were/V on/C shelves/N the/N

I notice in your web page you included the prepositional phrase "with
a fork" as part of the verb. I think I might apply it as a global
modifier to the whole sentence:

	Bob eats asparagus [with a fork] [in the park] [under the elm tree]
[beside his friend Sally]

That way the prepositional phrases all get tacked to the sentence with
"connectors" as in:

	NVN CN CN CN CN

--gary