2013/1/19 Charles W Brickner <[log in to unmask]>:
> [...]

You see that it would be another advantage if 12 had also 5 as a divisor.

In addition to being disivible by 5, base-10 wins in another aspect:
we have 10 fingers in our hands. But here's a way of finger count in
base-12:

"Finger counting systems still in use in many regions of Asia allow
the counting to 12 by using a single hand. The thumb acts as a pointer
touching the three finger bones of each finger in turn, starting with
the outermost bone of the little finger. One hand is used to count
numbers up to 12. The other hand is used to display the number of
completed base-12s. This continues until twelve dozen is reached,
therefore 144 is counted."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger_counting

Here you have a picture to finger count in base-2:
http://www.files.chem.vt.edu/chem-dept/field/numbers.htm