On 20 January 2013 16:16, Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > Probably like a spoken version of ASL (with the bits and
> > pieces that strictly depend on its spatial nature linearised,
>
> I dunno. I'd suggest that a thousand blind and utterly defenseless and
> sedentary people will probably be terrified of losing one another in the
> Dark. Perhaps we'd decide on something like the gripping language and
> decide most firmly to never let go. If anyone got separated after the
> Darkness fell, they would be utterly Lost. They couldn't see to talk, no
> one would comprehend any kind of vocalism. Such a person would be in a
> bad way.

Of course. There are plenty of things that are just not realistic in this
thought experiment. I still went along with it because, unlike the previous
question, this one was at least not totally unrealistic down to its core.

And there is still merit to thought experiments that are not totally
realistic. I use one in my LGBT awareness workshops at work, and it's
always very effective. As long as you're willing to go along on the ride,
the learnings are worth it.
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/