From: Constructed Languages List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Allison Swenson
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:23 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: OT: Williams' Origins of the English Language

Not quite conlang related, but you folks tend to know what you're talking
about when it comes to language!

I've just started a class on the history of the English language and the
text is Joseph Williams' Origins of the English Language. It's a bit old (my
copy's from 1975), and I imagine theories about the history of English must
have changed at least a little in the last thirty years. I was curious if
anyone here is familiar with the book and could comment on whether it's a
good text, has some failings, or is a good text with some failings--and what
sort of failings I should watch out for in it. I was particularly interested
in taking this class because I have such a poor understanding of how
languages evolve over time (and I'd like to apply these sorts of changes to
my conlang; looks like this is a little conlang-related after all!), but I'd
rather avoid filling up my head with misinformation.