On Friday, 18 January, 2013 16:29:32 you wrote:
> On 18/01/2013 11:27, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> > What are the advantages of speaking a less logical
> > language (a language with grammar rules with a lot of
> > exceptions, a lot of words with ambiguity, etc.)?
>
> Being human?   :)

	Indeed. The fundemental assumption behind loglangs is that the mind is
imprisoned by language: change the language, change the mind. (This notion
predates Sapir-Whorf by several hundred years.) Now, there is a bit of truth
to this, but I'm not going to go into it, because my belief is that the
equation is completely backwards: it is language that is imprisoned by the
mind. Language, as a construct of the human mind, cannot be truly freed from
its origins. Were it possible to wave a magic wand and make a logical language
widely spoken and understood among a significant cross-section of humanity,
within a very short time it would be changed into an increasingly less logical
language as the human instinct for play, evasion, imprecision, and humor
violently beats the crap out of logic and precision.
	Although they can be fun to toy with, loglangs in essence are anti-
human. Fortunately, their very nature renders them a non-threat, so there is
no need to sally forth with torches and pitchforks. :)
	:Peter