On 2013-01-15 14:47, Roman Rausch wrote:
> ͏>            Sg.     Pl.
>> >----------  ------  -------
>> >*eldā       Jald    Jaldar
>> >*eldē       Ild     Ildir
>> >*eldō       Jöld    Jöldur
> Interesting! Is there also a dual form? In my own early take on an Elvish language, being a friend of u-mutation, I made dual _-u_ cause it and disappear, giving:
>
> Sg. *kwendē > hwent
> Du. *kwendū > hwønt
> Pl. *kwendēi > hwenti

Yes there was a dual, but the nominative was just like the plural
with -r > -t except for original consonant stems.  I had an
excessive fear of plural and dual becoming identical in ō/ū stems.
I also wanted it to look similar to ON neuter forms like
_þat, húsit, augat, talat_.  Words like _*kwendē_ got
'regularized' on the _-r_ plural type so it went
_kvind, kvindit, kvindir_.  I don't remember why I didn't
want them to have n.sg. == n.pl.  I did some oversimplifications
and overrregularizations in the hope that the lang would
get used as a game language.  Still I had all the Quenya cases.
Would I do it today and take such considerations I would
have used prepositions.  Back then we didn't even know that
_*se/sé_ and _*lo/ló_ existed as prepositions in Quenya.

/bpj