On 1/19/2013 7:43 PM, MorphemeAddict wrote:
> I've been using a normalized system of values for the 26-letter English
> alphabet for my conlanging work. This allows me to use all and only these
> 26 letters.
>
> a e i o u
>
> b p    v f    m
> d t    h w    n
> g k    y x    q
> z s    j c
>
> l r
>
> The unusual mappings are
>
> c = ʃ
>
> h = θ
>
> j = ʒ
> q = ŋ
>
> w = ð
>
> y = ɣ
>
> An apostrophe can be added to this with a value of either h or glottal
> stop.
>
> stevo

j = ʒ isn't all that unusual, and I can see that y could be a good
substitute for ɣ. I used y for /ɣ/ in my romanization for Czirehlat,
which was a spinoff from Tirelat around 12 years ago. The "w" for /ð/ is
pretty unusual though, and /θ/ and /ð/ are both uncommon sounds even
though English-speaking conlangers tend to use them a lot. I've used
26-letter alphabets a couple of times before, once for a language called
Tilya in 2000, and previously in Eklektu from 1996. Both of these were
more or less what I might call experimental languages. Most of my langs
use either more or fewer than 26 sounds, so I haven't had much recent
interest in one-to-one Latin alphabet writing systems.

Here's the Tilya phoneme inventory:

p b	t d	q c	k g	i	u
m	n
f v	s z	x j	h r	e	o
w	l	y			a

The "q" and "c" are affricates, [tʃ] and [dʒ] (c = dʒ at least has a
precedent in Turkish). Probably the most unusual mapping is r = ɣ. I
never did write much in Tilya, but here's a sample:

Ke pasya hotsa sa nahpa ke hirkinofha. Mema bo le ka dahwa?
Birds fly over the rainbow. Why can't I?

My Eklektu document used an old non-Unicode IPA font (limitations of
Windows 95), so I have to go by the approximate English equivalents
(with the exception that "r" is trilled). This should be close enough:

a	ɑ
b	b
c	ʃ
d	d
e	ɛ
f	f
g	ɡ
h	h
i	ɪ
j	ʒ
k	k
l	l
m	m
n	n
o	ɔ
p	p
q	ŋ
r	r
s	s
t	t
u	ʊ
v	v
w	w
x	x
y	j
z	z

At the time it was customary to translate the Lord's Prayer into
conlangs. Here's the Eklektu version. Eklektu was a mix of words adapted
from different languages.

O tya per ni la nebo, hu sakra u nom de va,
Hu lai u va regala, hu esen u va vil, ve ni nebo, kai ni la mond,
Tya jur hleba hu don o tya ni kojur,
Et hu pardon o tya e tya deballi, ve kai ha tya pardon o tya debulli,
Et ne hu duk o tya al iskuc, no hu liberin u tya van zloi.